Friday, January 7, 2011

So This is the New Year. 2011!


I am going to refer to 2010 as a "clean-up year." All the other years leading up to 2010 were like the days you spend looking at the pile of laundry in the corner and then promising yourself you will get to it later, continuing to go about your day. 2010 was the year that I went through the arduous process of accepting, encountering, tackling, and overcoming. At the beginning of 2011 I feel far more polished, far more settled. 2010 was rough, but completely necessary. I'm happy it has come and gone.

I guess you could say a lot happened, and it doesn't mean they were bad things. They were just intense things, and some of them are great things. For starters, I graduated college, got into graduate school at NYU, and completed my first semester there with my best GPA yet. I have spent a lot of quality time with family and friends, and I have met so many new people who have turned out to be quite influential and special to me.

2011 hasn't been all sunshine and daisies so far, it's actually been kind of difficult. For example, my great grandmother passed away last Thursday. I will miss her very much, she was a special lady. However, because of my experiences in 2010 this difficult time has been easier for me to handle. I can see the good things- I am sad she is gone but I am happy that she can be in a better place now. I've always considered myself to be an optimist, but now I really feel that optimism, too.

It's safe to say that in 2010 I learned more than I have in any other year. I may even dare to say that I learned more in 2010 than in all my other years combined. It was just one of those times in my life. It's funny to think that this time last year I was just starting to go through this whole process, and exactly a year later I've finished my first semester of Social Work school and really feel like I am in the right place, doing the right things for me. I've learned how to do that. Mastered it, even. It feels pretty good to be able to say that.

2011 is a year that I am very much looking forward to. Hooray!

ps. I figured since I put a picture of myself in my post from last year that I should keep up the tradition.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails