Friday, August 7, 2009

It's the weekend! & Newport Folk Festival

Hey all, sorry to have been so MIA this week. I went to the Newport Folk Festival last weekend, and then this week got a little jumbled so I haven't really had an opportunity to post something substantial.

This is one of the first mornings I haven't been exhausted or in a rush so I am watching one of my favorite movies, I am Sam. I am sure most of you have seen it. This movie has one of my favorite soundtracks of all time, and I've been a fan of it since the movie came out in 2001. I haven't watched it in so long. And of course every perfect morning involves a cup of coffee, so of course I am enjoying one.

I also decided to pick up a book that I haven't read in a few years, I think since before senior year of high school, that I still consider one of my favorites. It's called Reviving Ophelia: Saving the Selves of Adolescent Girls, written by Mary Pipher, Ph.D. It is a psychological discussion of the difficult period of female adolescence. It discusses how adolescence has evolved throughout the years to become a more trying time due to the influence of the media. As Pipher has pointed out, female adolescence in particular had not been thoroughly discussed by anyone at the time of the book's publication in 1994. The title refers to the Ophelia in Hamlet whose adolescence is the cause of her demise. It sounds pretty depressing I know, but it's rather insightful, and I believe the first step towards solving the problem is to realize it. I first read the book when I was fresh out of my rebellious adolescent phase and it comforted me to know that I wasn't the only one who went through a difficult phase, and that it ultimately was beyond my control. If this is the sort of thing that interests you, give it a read. I think it's a pretty important book for anyone to read, especially important for women.

well then! On a lighter note, the Newport Folk Festival was great! I got to see some incredible artists and incredible things. Instead of continuing to be so wordy, I'll provide some pictures!

Ben Kweller


Brett Dennen


The Cliffside B&B


Tie-Dye


Newport Water


The Cliff Walk


Mumsy and the Ocean


Happiest Family Alive, but I don't know who they are.


These people I know, Mom and Aunt Jenn dancing to Pete Seeger in the rain


I hope you like these. You can check out all of them on my Flickr page. It was an incredible festival and an incredible weekend.

2 comments:

  1. Great pics! And wasn't Brett Dennen amazing?? I saw him at the Moore Theatre in Seattle last year. Soooooo good!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you! and yes brett dennen was awesome. He really knows how to get the crowd excited, everyone was dancing and singing- his music translates so well when played live. also, he is quite the character- his dancing was hilarious.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails