Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Reading



I've been waiting for this sort of day for months.
Laying in bed, drinking cup after cup of coffee, reading a book on my kindle.
Right now I'm reading the new Dan Brown book, The Lost Symbol.
It's moving pretty slowly right now, I am a little more than a third of the way through and hoping it'll pick up soon.
I'm kind of excited to finish and move on to the next book, which will probably be the new Foer book Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close. After that, who knows!
Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

Having a kindle is great, but there really is something special about holding a book in your hands, turning the pages, underlining your favorite lines to go back to later, and then lending your favorite books to your friends. Also, one of my favorite things to have happen is to have someone say, "I love this book, I think you will,too," and then they lend you theirs, with the worn in pages and bent spine. As much as I love a new book, it's somehow more special when it's already been read and experienced. There's something magical about it. But of course, kindles are so convenient and the books are often cheaper and you can have like a thousand books with you at a time, pretty excellent for vacations. Yet, I don't really think it would be a good idea to bring a kindle on a beach.

I just hope that the same thing doesn't happen to the book industry that happened to the record industry. It's a legitimate worry of mine.

There's something so beautiful about a stack of books.
And I love bookshops, and when I grow up, I want a humungous library.
I'll stop being a booknerd now and go back to my reading.

(images found on booklover.tumblr.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails